Saturday, September 09, 2006

fresh perspective

Hello, sweeties! I spent yesterday in Montgomery, a city with a little bit of class. It is by no means my favorite Alabama city, but it is the biggest one closest to us. I did a few wedding gift switcheroos (I already had a hand mixer) and got some cool stuff. I bought G (my hubby) a heathered green shirt that says Ireland Rugby League. For those who don't know, G has Irish roots and played rugby for years in boarding school. G never wears shirts like this, but he was a very good sport and tried it on for me. He looked SO GREAT. And the bonus: he actually liked the shirt! This is no small feat, because G can be a pretty picky dresser. Then, later that day, he told me, "You can dress me if you want to." I like married life so far. :)

Anyway, my initial talk about Montgomery had a point. Last night, when hubs and I were watching Sex and the City, I realized that I did not want a cocktail like I usually do. Granted, I do not usually make one (That's too expensive.); I just crave one.

"Why is this?" I thought. Then I realized: the reason I like Sex in the City so much is that it lets me forget I live in the anal crevice of the South. And the reason I want to drink cocktails when I watch it is that I am craving novelty. But yesterday, I spent my hours wandering through my favorite gourmet food store (Fresh Market), I went to Target (which is NOTHING like Wal-Mart!), and I shopped at Dillard's and another of my favorite stores. I came home with sushi, Jarlsberg cheese, maple blueberry sausage, a Ralph Lauren bedspread, and organic potato chips. I had had a very small world-broadening experience that had transported me temporarily out of our small, ignorant town.

It was a wonderful day, but those days always make me sad, too, because I realize they are the exception-- not the rule. Even if I had the time to take frequent trips to Montgomery (which I actually do this semester because I am only teaching one class), there is no way that we could afford it. However, I don't want to poke my head out of the ground just yet; so I will just go make my frittata and design a new handbag and escape for a little while longer.

A vegetable stand at one of my favorite haunts (before they told me to put my camera away). I might be a spy from another store, ya know.

Coup de grace:
http://www.daybreaklavenderfarm.com/store/THE-LAVENDER-GOURMET-c-339.html
A dark chocolate lavendar torte mix. I've never tried this, but doesn't it sound divine? I think I might just add lavendar to my own favorite chocolate torte recipe, though.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that longs to get out of South Alabama. At least you have a chance of making it to Canada some day. I only get to dream.

September 14, 2006 9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home