Friday, October 27, 2006

too liberal?!

Ok, I just can't help but post about this. There is radio commercial running in Alabama right now encouraging citizens to vote against a certain democratic candidate for Senate. Let me run a couple of the statements by you and see how you feel.

The first went something like, "Liberal Terry Spicer is running on the same ticket with Alabama's first openly gay democrat and has pledged his support for her campaign." Ok, the facts given to us here are: 1. Mr. Spicer is a democrat. 2. Mr Spicer is running for Senate. 3. His running mate is a homosexual. 4. He supports her. These facts by themselves are supposed to convince Alabama citizens that Mr. Spicer will be unsuitable and unable to properly represent the state of Alabama. Apparently, being a homosexual or supporting a homosexual (to an Alabamian) means that one is immoral, untrustworthy, and uncapable of making sound, objective political decisions. I'm sorry, but I know a lot of homosexuals who are far more suitable for governmental office than some heterosexuals I know. At least they are using their brains instead of putting them on a shelf in favor of more "suitable" political positions like the incredibly appetizing intermingling of church and state, where people are asked to vote according to their religious belief that homosexuality is sin.

However, my "favorite" part of this commercial is the very last line: "Terry Spicer: just too liberal for Alabama." When did the word "liberal" become such a powerfully suggestive word that by itself could make people's minds shut down? According to my dictionary, liberal means "favorable to progress or reform, as in political or religious affairs." Some synonyms to "liberal" are "broad-minded," "generous," "boutiful," and "munificent." "Liberal" also means "favorable to or in accord with concepts of maximum individual freedom possible, esp. as guaranteed by law and secured by governmental protection of civil liberties. " Do you want progress, Alabama? Do you want individual freedoms? Oh, of course not. Alabama: aim low and hit the mark every time. Screw you, Alabama!

Would California radio stations air a commercial with the line "just too liberal for California"? I think not. Why? Because even if someone in California is a conservative Republican, hopefully, it is going to take a little more of an argument than "just too liberal" for that person to make up his or her mind.

There is nothing wrong with conservatism. I have great respect for many conservatives. However, I have no respect for unthinking conservatism. Unthinking conservatism is so easily manipulated by catch words and phrases. Some of President Bush's favorites are "God," "justice," and "freedom." Say those words to unthinking conservatives, and it's just like petting the belly of a crocodile: they become mentally limp, and you can do anything you want because those people now have a blind, unfaltering trust in you. I don't give a damn what you say. I want to know what you do.

I will close with one of my favorite slogans of the Episcopal Church:
"Jesus came to take away your sins-- not your mind."

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This just would not be tolerated in England due to political correctness.

October 29, 2006 8:03 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Carolyn: thank goodness for that.

October 29, 2006 8:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I found your blog through the cake parlour and I just love it...and I love this post. I live in TN, and they are doing the exact same thing here...makes me absolutely crazy.

November 02, 2006 7:46 AM  
Blogger Jan said...

I agree with you completely.

When we were in Idaho (one of the reddest of red states) we heard very similar commercials. The "just too liberal for . . ." construction was there too. It's sad really. People just don't even know what they are really opposing.

November 04, 2006 9:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Precious! I finally got my Internet back! I love this post and I love you! Sorry I was so MIA for awhile.

November 06, 2006 6:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Lizzy just wondered if everything is okay with you as I haven't seen any new posts in a while?
Carolyn

November 22, 2006 3:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beth, where are you, honey?

November 24, 2006 6:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're such a liberal. how can you FACE yourself in the morning (and living in AlaBAMA no less! tee hee.)

January 20, 2007 1:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home